Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Hodgepodge - just for fun

This is my first time joining in on the Wednesday hodgepodge but I thought it looked like fun so why not?  Clicking on the link above will take you to the original post and you can join in if you'd like.  

1. It's that most wonderful time of the year...tax season! Do you complete your own returns or farm that job out to the professionals?

We do our own taxes, and by "we" I mean not me.  Scott does the taxes because he's a numbers man and did taxes on the side up until a couple years ago.  I'm not sure he'd say it was "fun" but I don't think he minds it.  I like to help by making plans for our refund $$ - if we get some.  

2.  Which do you think has changed you more-love or pain?  

Hmm, that's a good question.  I would have to say pain.  Loving comes pretty easily for me but dealing with pain is tough stuff (as it is for everybody, I know).  That's not always a bad thing though.   My faith was strengthened (and continues to do so) during the trying times, I've gained a lot of empathy for people by going through things myself, I'm less judgmental of others, and I've gotten tougher in areas where I needed to.  The flip side is that because of love, the pain has changed me.  So there's a pretty thin line there.  

3.  Tangerine Tango has been named color of the year for 2012. Your thoughts? Would I find this color anywhere in your house? How about in your closet? If not, will you be adding this color to your life in someway in 2012? If you're not sure what tangerine tango looks like click here.

Well, I'll be, I didn't even know there was a color of the year.  My thoughts...Why is there a "color of the year"?  You won't believe this, but I actually DO have that color in my house...
My daughter's bedroom is about as orange as they come, so I'd have to say that's Tangerine Tango.  She's 22 now and it's been this color since she was a teenager so I know a room-painting project is on our horizon but since she's hardly ever home these days, it's pretty low on the list.  We let her pick the color and I had visions of how many cute things we could do with it but not much came of that.  Not long after we painted, my mom gave me a magazine article that talked about how people who liked orange were happy people, so I felt better about the whole thing, and she is a happy girl, but wowza, I'm much more boring than that.  Oh, and the other orange (I mean Tangerine Tango) thing I have...
...my purse for the Fall.  

4.  Are you a collector? What do you collect and does it get admired, used, and/or dusted regularly?

This is a yes/no answer because I don't consider myself a collector.  However, I've become an accidental cookbook collector over the years and I used to collect Precious Moments.  Remember when those were popular?  Wait, are they still popular?  I don't know, but I don't collect them anymore.  They're all together in my curio cabinet.  I like any kind of cookbook and try and get one from anyplace special where we go, and if it's new or different (or very old) then all the better.  Yes, they get used all the time.  Now that I think about it, I also collect very old books - on any topic.  I might have to do a post about those sometime.  They do get dusted regularly, but not used too often.  I'd like to start a $20 bill collection, so if anyone would like to send me one (or more) I'd love to add them to my collection ~ US currency only, please. :D

5. February is National Heart Month...besides a green salad what is one heart healthy dish you like to prepare?

I have to admit, I don't know which foods specifically are heart healthy.  If salmon is, then I'd have to say that.  Scott does a great sauce for salmon with wasabi and soy sauce and brown sugar - SO good.  That might take away it's healthiness though, I don't know.  I eat a lot of oatmeal with walnuts and blueberries, so maybe that counts!  

6.  When was the last time you had car trouble?

I think the last time I had car trouble was over the summer.  It was going to cost more to fix our minivan than it was worth so we ended up getting a new car (I was ready to be out of the minivan stage of my life).  I'm not a car person and am happy if I can get from point A to point B, so "shopping" for a car didn't interest me.  I think I used the term "torture" somewhere along the line.  I told Scott I'd go find something while he was at work and we'd pick it up after he got off.  I got a "no" there, so then I told him to just go pick something out and I'll follow him up later and we can pick it up.  Again with the "no".  Apparently he doesn't realize the amount of trust I have in him regarding boring things like cars.  It all worked out and so far, so good with the new one.

7.  Have you been more demanding on yourself lately or less? Is that a good trend?

I've been less demanding on myself lately and that is NOT a good trend for me.  I'm playing Words With Friends way too much and not getting other things around the house finished.  Starting now (or maybe later) I'm going to be a bit more demanding of myself so that I do some unfinished projects around here and get some more blog posts posted.  

8.  Insert your own random thought here.

It's been a very mild winter here in the Midwest and I'm actually missing some good old snow.  I don't mean "slide all over the road ice/sleet" kind of stuff, but the pretty snowfalls that just make you sigh and enjoy the beauty of it.  

13 comments:

Joyce said...

Oh that car shopping scenario is familiar around here : ) We haven't had much snow here in the Northeast either-unless you count the insane storm we had in early October. I think we may have some in the forecast for Sunday but it was 50 today so things are going to have to change a lot.

Welcome to the Hodgepodge! So glad you joined in today...enjoy the rest of your week!

Cherie said...

Well I for one am enjoying the non snow winter :-D Although the snow on the mountains does look pretty - I just want it to stay up there :-D

My husband does our taxes too. I will eat a frog if we get a refund! What is up with not being able to get that nice credit for a child who is not even 18 yet? Serio

I LOVE the orange but don't think I would paint my house with it. Your daughters room is BRIGHT!!!!

Mitchypoo said...

I'd love to see your old cookbooks, a very good thing to collect.

A Joyful Chaos said...

Ohh, what a great idea! I think I'd like to start a twenty dollar bill collection too. Though it might be in danger of being exchanged to add to my cookbook collection.

Rudd Family Circus said...

$20 bill collection is brilliant! Very funny stuff :)

Brenda said...

Love your wit on the $20 collection!
And the helping with the planning on your taxes. Ya, that's what I do!

Darcie said...

What fun post...truly a WIDE(hodpodge) of questions! Lovin' that orange room....very brilliant! I use to collect cookbooks too...not so much anymore. As for this winter, I have to admit to missing a good old snow-storm this year. BUT, now that it is Feb....I am ready to be done with it...bring on spring.

Peggy said...

I finally got to read this and .. WOW! You found my Girl Scout Handbook! I have a collection of sorts ... I keep it under the sofa, the piano and bookshelves. Betcha can't guess what it is!!!?

Life is good! said...

i too am missing the snow. we have had very little here in utah. my kitchen was the orange color in your photo up until a couple of years ago. my kids called it nacho cheese orange i called it home depot orange!

Kate {The Parchment Girl} said...

I love that "Tangerine tango" color! So fun!

ruthie said...

I DO love tangerine/orange! I have some fabric to redo my dining room chairs. I'm also making some geometric orange pillows for the family room and maybe painting an orange cabinet for the same room. Love it!

ruthie said...

Yes - I actually do have tangerine in my house. I love splashes of it! I'll be showing some pictures of it on my blog in the near future.

a little of me said...

nice post thanks for sharing looking for to visit more...blessings