Tuesday, May 29, 2012

This is for the birds...

I'm a giver.  That's all I have to say.  My backyard got the cutest new addition this past weekend and it's like the little cherry on top of an otherwise boring backyard sundae.  You have to understand, our backyard is like the "BEFORE" picture on one of those outdoor makeover shows - sort of a blank canvas.  We have a half-hill back there and years ago my husband dug out a huge area and put in a deck.  We have a half retaining wall with steps leading up to the deck.  The potential is limitless - I get a little thought bubble above my head, gaze into the sky, and see little waterfalls going down the hill, and fish ponds, and a game area up top - perfect for Jarts (are those still around or are they a weapon now or something?), or washers, or horseshoes.  Then I see the yard filled with friends and family and cute drinks with umbrellas and appetizers with frilly toothpicks.  Then I shake my head, snap back into reality, and go back inside.   Someone remind me to call HGTV when I'm finished here.  

We haven't done too much to the backyard because we have the intention of moving (sometime in this life) and our upgrades have been focused on the inside.  I just love the little, simple touches that make things look homey on the outside as well though.  


I'm going to give my husband credit for all his hard work, but I also have to thank Pinterest.  I'm pretty sure it was about 185 degrees out but I didn't mind - I was inside eating Spicy Buffalo Wheat Thins (not bad, by the way) and drinking Diet Pepsi - and Scott (my husband) seems oblivious to hot days.  I don't even like to go get the mail when it's that hot out, but that's neither here nor there.  

Anyway, one day while I was browsing Pinterest, I saw this simple, cute little birdbath gardenette.  That's my made-up word for a little garden around a birdbath:
.
Photo courtesy of Kristen's Creations blog, which is adorable

I have a new birdbath and I showed Scott the picture of that gardenette and was saying what a cute, simple idea it was, and wouldn't whoever got to look at that every day be the luckiest, least crabby person ever?   "Oh yeah, that is cute!  I'm glad you found super cute things for me to do on my day off!" was his reply.  Or maybe he just nodded while he was looking through the mail.  I can't remember.  Either way, he went to the store this weekend and came home with this:
And the project began to unfold...


He even picked out the flowers...
Getting cuter...
Filling the birdbath (I didn't even tell him it was a little crooked...yet)
It's finished!!

Ahhh - SUCCESS!  Our first customer...

The birds are happy and got a clean place to take a bath and get a drink, Scott got a great workout (and an awesome tan), the neighbors like looking over and got a cute new view, and I got an adorable update to my backyard.  I'm glad I was able to give a little bit of happiness to all involved.  It's nice being a giver (wink).  He hasn't said anything, but I think Scott is secretly hoping I can find more projects that are able to help so many. ;)  Have a wonderful week!

10 comments:

Peggy said...

Love this! I'm beginning to think up some ways to give to my neighborhood, too! Won't Bill be surprised?!

Monica @The Mennobrarian said...

It is terribly cute! I love it and it add curb appeal...er...if you step up on the curb, run across your lawn, and peek over the backyard fence. Don;t forget to put the pennies in it to keep the algae away. Then, let me know if that works because we got a bird bath, too. :) Finally, let's thank Pinterest for keeping husbands busy and off the streets.

BAT Mom said...

Awwwww! If that's not just the cutest thing, and so sweet for Scott to do that for you! I love it! And how much did you have to pay that bird?

Michelle-ozark crafter said...

I like that.

All Things Yummy said...

Oh, I love that! So so cute.

All Things Yummy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
The Jones Family said...

Hi, I am your newest follower. Love your cute, cute bird bath. What a nice project! Looking forward to more posts on your blog!

Angie said...

That is so precious! I have a big concrete birdbath and all I want to do is chuck it! But what I really want to do is drill some holes in the bottom for draining and fill it with pebbles and dirt and plant some flowers in it. But how do you drill holes in concrete? So, it remains a birdbath...and mine's a little crooked as well! lol

momstheword said...

I love this! What a sweet hubby you have. So, how is it working for you now. Any problems? Cats or squirrels attacking the birds? Bird do-do everywhere?

Because I'm thinking of showing my hubby your picture because that would be so pretty to look at in our yard too.

Loved your comment, lol! There have been weeks where I struggled to get even ONE post out.

Also, last summer I took a month or two off, so that may have been when you dropped by.

Wow, your daughter was sick! So glad she's better but how scary. I had meningitis when I was in my early 20's and was out of work for around 4-6 weeks. Lost a ton of weight too (and I was already skinny to begin with back then, lol!)

Darcie said...

Awesome, awesome, awesome! I just left another blogger that made something she had pinned on Pinterest....maybe I should do something with all my pins. :-) Or my husband.

Scott did amazing!