Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Unexpected Surprise

I would say one of the small pleasures in life is a fun mail day, wouldn't you?  When I see a letter or card with a handwritten address, I know it's something special.  I've never gotten a handwritten letter from the IRS when it's tax time saying, "Hi there, long time no see ~  The kids have passed around a nasty head cold and the wife got a facelift, but just wanted to remind you that your taxes are due, you goose.  All my love to Scott and the kids.  Sincerely, Uncle Sam."  Nope, never got one.  

The other day my husband got the mail and the poor thing never gets fun mail so he took out what he needed and tossed the rest on the kitchen table.  Later on, I saw a letter addressed to me and said, "Hey, you didn't tell me I got fun mail," and he said, "Oh yeah, you got something in the mail."  Uh huh.  I noticed it was from my nephew, Tim, who is 15 and is a freshman in high school.  I just had to share this letter, which will go down for me as the finest letter in the history of letterdom (you can click to enlarge it - I think):
Suffice it to say, I didn't realize I'd need a box of Kleenex next to me.  Scott and I are Tim's godparents and Scott was Tim's sponsor in Confirmation, so getting this from him was not only special but a complete surprise.  I called him up the next day after I'd regained a certain amount of composure, and he was like, "Hi, Aunt Beth," and I told him how sweet the letter was and if I die a multi-millionaire I'd put him in the will and leave him at least $10, and it just meant so much to me, and on and on.  All he kept saying was, "Uh huh...uh huh...OK, I'll talk to you later."  I'm like, "What are you doing!?" and he said, "Watching the football game with my cousin Jeremy."  OK, that's boring.

The little funny part of the letter was this part:

I feel like that may need a bit of explanation.  When my kids were younger, I babysat my nephews and a couple of close friends' children.  As they grew up, Tim was the youngest, and was the only one I had to pick up from school.  By then my kids were in high school and driving themselves.  So MAYBE once or a few times, I got a call from Tim or the school saying to come pick him up.  My nephews and my kids all went to the same school, so I'd been going up there for years.  When the phone rang, I'd hear, "Hi Beth, it's Sister Joan (the secretary - not to be confused with Sister Joan the principal, although she has called, too)" and as soon as I heard her voice, I knew.  EEEEK!!!!  

And there may have been one time when he was in a car seat and I dropped the kids off at school and got out in the parking lot to stand next to the car as they walked in (like every mom did), and one of them hit the lock button on accident and Tim was in his carseat...locked in my minivan...with it running.  I was standing right there!  Scott had to drive 20 minutes home from work to open the car, but he's pretty easy-going and didn't seem to mind ~ only one of us is allowed to freak out at a time, and as usual it wasn't him.  I kept talking to Tim and waving and he'd just laugh and wave back.  Not my proudest moment.  Every parent driving by, "Everything OK?" Me, "Oh yeah, we just locked him in a running car."  Them, "Oh no, can I help?"  Me, "Sure, go get me a doughnut."  

The school closed a few years ago and so the students went to a different school down the road and Tim was now old enough to stay home alone and was in a carpool.  Well one day the grandparents picked up the kids (of the carpool family) and they figured Tim had gotten another ride.  Nope.  I got a call from my brother (or sister-in-law, I don't remember) asking if I could go get Tim and explained the situation.  When I got there, I told him, "Aww, Tim, isn't this special, it reminds me of when I used to forget you at the other school."  At least he laughed and he's not traumatized from it.  I don't think.  

The best part is that when I'm sad or feel under-appreciated, I can get out this note and remember, even if it was for a class assignment, I was somebody's hero in their mind, even if it was just that day.  This, I won't forget.

12 comments:

Michelle-ozark crafter said...

Love, love love this post!

Rhonda said...

I love it. Great Blog Beth!

BAT Mom said...

Amazingly wonderful post, my dear! You didn't tell ME I'd need a box of Kleenex, too!! That is just the most precious thing!! You are definitely loved, aren't you?! And then, besides the letter, the "rest of the story" (just like Paul Harvey!) was great all the way through! I laughed ("Sure, go get me a doughnut.). I cried (as I explained). I felt envious ('cause who wouldn't?!) I felt happy (that my sweet friend is so loved and appreciated)! Thank you!! What a great post! I think it's your best yet!

Monica @The Mennobrarian said...

You are an awesome aunt, which makes you one of my heroes, too. I love how his note segues from terrorists into how great you are. He really gets you! It's true what he says about how you always try to keep things positive. You're awesome like that. ~Monica

Peggy said...

Awwww imP! Precious!

Furry Bottoms said...

Always Always Always Always surprising and pleasing to get a letter like that from a teenager!!!!

Sue said...

How absolutely, positively, WONDERFUL!! How very special!
I'm so proud of you! *** (those are gold stars)

momto8blog said...

what a beautiful message! wow. you are appreciated. good for you...and the heart filled examples are great!!!
I am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can.
I only get bills in my mailbox.

momstheword said...

Oh, what a sweet letter and what sweet (and fun) memories it invoked.

I have to laugh because I forgot my own kids a time or two. I thought hubby had one and he thought I had one and well....we'd get home and one son would call and say "Did you forget something?"

Fortunately they were all old enough so they were safe and unafraid and just fine until we got there, lol!

Anonymous said...

This is great. Classic boy...call him up to share your feelings and you get grunting back in reply. :D

This from a mother of four.

What a treasure to keep, tucked into a treasure box where terrorists and the like can't get to it.

Rhonda Schrock
www.rhondaschrock.com

momstheword said...

Figured I'd mention that I responded on my blog to your comment!

Now, get blogging again!!! :)

The Bashful Nest said...

I have to agree, one of my favorite parts of my day is when the mailman comes by. It's always great to get a real letter from someone and when it comes from a little one all the better! Enjoy your week.
xoxo Michelle. thebashfulnest.blogspot.com